Midi forwarding interfaces out 1&2 not available on AUM (iPad)

Any questions about the Midronome, technical or not
HDGMax

Midi forwarding interfaces out 1&2 not available on AUM (iPad)

Post by HDGMax »

Already upgraded to firmware 2.0 but I do not find the Midi forwarding interfaces out 1&2 in AUM on iPad. I only find the command out. I checked in AUM midi channel and in AUM audio channel. Any instructions about how to make the forwarding interface outs visible in AUM? Please advise.
Simon

Re: Midi forwarding interfaces out 1&2 - AUM

Post by Simon »

Hi :)

It sounds like AUM only uses the first interface from each device. Could you check if you can see both INs interfaces (Clock only and Clock & Start)? If you cannot, it confirms my theory - the AUM only sees one pair of IN/OUT interface per device.

If that is the case, unfortunately there is not much the Midronome can do, it publishes all 5 interfaces (2 IN and 3 OUT), then it's up to the software to read them all. I would suggest to read about AUM handling multiple USB-MIDI interfaces per device, maybe asking about this on a AUM specific-forum :)

Just FYI - one way around this from the Midronome's point of view could be to publish only one USB-MIDI interface and then use channels to separate them (for example channel 1-7 is sent to MIDI out 1, channel 8-15 sent to MIDI out 2, and channel 16 sent to Midronome Commands...). But that is less than ideal, and it also means you would not be able to use all channels on each MIDI out port.

Simon
HDGMax

Post by HDGMax »

Hi Simon, Thank you for your reply.

Under sources I find ‘clock and start’ and ‘clock only’. They are under a group ‘ Midronome 2 outputs’.
Under midi destinations I find Midronome Commands.
Note.. also other devices connected with midi input and output. Those are visible.

Just for testing I now connected a second Midronome.
Under sources I now find 2x ‘clock and start’ and 2x ‘clock only’ each followed by a # address. They are under a group ‘ Midronome 4 outputs’.
Under midi destinations I find 2x Midronome Commands. Each followed by an # address.

Does that help to find the reason?
HDGMax

Post by HDGMax »

Hi Simon,

Results of a few additional test…

I tested with and without USB hub. Same problem.

Similar problem in midi out plugins in MiRack (running standalone on iPad Air)

I also tested in Windows, using Midi Tools….
That one finds 2 Midronome input devices:
Midronome
MIDIIN2 (Midronome)
And 3 Midronome output devices…
Midronome
MIDIOUT2 (Midronome)
MIDIOUT3 (Midronome)
Simon

Post by Simon »

Thanks for the feedback - interesting results, it seems AUM can see the input devices fine but not the output ones? :shock:

That last test shows that everything is fine with your Midronome, as Windows can see the last two output devices (which are the MIDI Out 1 and MIDI Out 2 - Windows is just not good at reading the names from the USB descriptor).

Do you maybe have another physical device that uses more than one output MIDI device you could test with? If they can get the AUM to see multiple output devices then there is definitely a chance, all I'll need to get is their USB descriptor to see what they do differently.

But AFAIK the Midronome's USB descriptor follows the USB spec, the fact it works fine on Windows, MacOS, and a few other USB hosts (MPC f.x.) also confirms that I'd say :)
So my guess is still the same: this is actually a bug on the AUM not recognizing multiple output devices. Why does it do it for input devices only I have no idea...

Simon
HDGMax

Post by HDGMax »

Hi Simon, I connected a midihub and AUM finds all 4 midi destinations of the midihub.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Ok that's awesome news :D
What's the MIDI Hub you connected?
HDGMax

Post by HDGMax »

Hi Simon. The Midihub from Blokas.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Hi all - after quite a few emails back and forth with HDGMax, I've come to the conclusion that this is related to the Note from section 4 of the User Guide, as shown in the attachment.

So my guess is, like on MacOS, on iPadOS (and iOS probably?), if the Midronome is connected to the iPad before upgrading to 2.0, then the iOS/iPadOS has already "registered" the Midronome without the two extra interfaces. On MacOS there is the Audio MIDI Setup which lets you delete old devices, on iPadOS or iOS unfortunately it seems the only way is to reset the iPad.
See also: https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/2408 ... midi-ports

Simon
Attachments
userguide-section4.png