How to link tempo knob to DAW tempo (before hitting play button)?

Any questions about the Midronome, technical or not
spacialrob

How to link tempo knob to DAW tempo (before hitting play button)?

Post by spacialrob »

Is there a way to have the DAW tempo change in sync with (and as) I turn the Midronome knob? My settings right now is 24PPQ, using Midronome as external clock in FL Studio. When I change the tempo in FL, the Midronome adjusts its tempo accordingly, but when I change the tempo on the Midronome, FL's tempo will not adjust until the play button on the Midronome is physically pressed. Is there a way to get it to work both ways? Thanks!
Simon

Re: How to link tempo knob to DAW tempo (before hitting play button)?

Post by Simon »

Hey Rob

Well I'd say it's amazing you already got it working both ways this far - I'm pretty sure you are the first!
To answer your question - it must be a FL Studio setting, that the MIDI Clock is only taken into account when the DAW is playing. The Nome sends MIDI Clock constantly (expect in 2.4.P. mode) so it's just up to FL Studio to account for it or not.

Just so I fully understand the setup: you sync the Nome to FL using the VST plugin, and then sync FL to the Nome using MIDI Clock over USB?

If that's the case, I cannot guarantee how tight this is, because the MIDI Clock sent by the Midronome over USB will influence the timing of the DAW, and those small tempo changes will/might affect what the plugin sends, which then creates more jitter on the MIDI Clock, and it loops back...

Someone else asked about something similar with Ableton on Youtube today - so I've made a generate topic to discuss bidirectoinal DAW sync: viewtopic.php?t=318