Suddenly devices are restarting after 1 bar

Any questions about the Midronome, technical or not
MLaf

Suddenly devices are restarting after 1 bar

Post by MLaf »

I have been using 2.4.P. successfully for a while but just today I was getting a strange behaviour.

The Midronome is synced via DAW plugin using 2.4.P so there's no count in but the devices being synced (Octatrack mainly) will start when I press play in the DAW but then restart after 1 bar. The behaviour is as if I was using 24P ( with count in) but instead of silence for 1 bar I'm getting the first bar of the OT sequence.

No clue what happened, has anyone else had this occur? I updated the plugin to the latest version but same behaviour.
Simon

Re: Suddenly devices are restarting after 1 bar

Post by Simon »

Hi :D

That's a very strange behavior indeed. Could you please check:
  1. at what point the plugin starts sending audio (first bar or second bar)
  2. at what point the "Locked" LED / BPM display is on (first bar or second bar)
  3. is the Play button blinking during the first bar?
  4. try the same setup with another device than the Octatrack
  5. try with auto-play off and press play manually on the Midronome after your pressed play in the DAW - the Play button should blink until the next bar and then the Octatrack should start (and not restart later on)
  6. try the "24P" mode (does it also restart after one bar)
Cheers
Simon
MLaf

Post by MLaf »

1. The plugin starts sending audio at first bar
2. The Locked LED lights at the start
3. The play button is blinking during the first bar and is lit at the second.
4. I tried it with a different device (Digitakt, no Overbridge) and it does the same thing.
5. Yes this works but everything is delayed 1 bar.
6. Same as 5, it works but delayed 1 bar.

I did try another DAW and it works as it should. Maybe something in the recent update of Bitwig is causing this bug? Reason works fine but I would much rather record audio into Bitwig.
Simon

Post by Simon »

MLaf wrote: 07 Nov 2023, 14:55 3. The play button is blinking during the first bar and is lit at the second.
Thanks for trying all of this :) This point is clearly the problem - blinking means it will send a reset on the next bar... which it does :D

It sounds like your DAW is sending MIDI to the Midronome - for example if you send MIDI Start from your DAW, just after the transport is started, then it will send resync on the next bar.

Try powering the Midronome from a wall wart and see if it helps. If it does, then check what MIDI messages are sent over the USB ;)

Simon
MLaf

Post by MLaf »

AH HAH! Yes that was it! I checked the sync settings and I for some reason had MIDI being sent to the Midronome. No clue when I changed that but after disabling it now works as it used to work.

Thanks for helping troubleshoot Simon!