Syncing with Logic X (specifically using the plug in and midronome syncing to tempo set by DAW)

Any questions about the Midronome, technical or not
ac010

Syncing with Logic X (specifically using the plug in and midronome syncing to tempo set by DAW)

Post by ac010 »

Hi there

I'm struggling to set up any of the functionality with Logic X.

I appreciate that logic (unlike some DAWs) can't be led by the midronome (can anything be done about this in future!?).

So, I've been reading the instruction manuals on how to synce the midronome to logic using the AU plugin (section 4.2).

I've followed all steps up to and including adding a new software instrument and selecting the Midronome AU plugin as the instrument.

However, I don't follow what is meant next by: "Make sure that track is sending audio to a dedicated (physical) output". This is a midi track in logic and the midronome plug in won't generate any sound. To test one possible way of getting some tempo information to the midronome via a physical output, I connected an audio out from my soundcard, via a standard audio cable, to the input of the midronome, but this just resulted in a loud continuous hissing noise, and lots of numbers scrambling on the midronome led screen.

Where am I going wrong please?

If someone could walk me through this in really basic broken down steps, I'd be very grateful!

Thanks

Adam
Simon

Re: Syncing with Logic X (specifically using the plug in and midronome syncing to tempo set by DAW)

Post by Simon »

Hi Adam :)

As written in the PDF, you need to create a Software Instrument Track, not a MIDI track.

This type of track outputs audio and the plugin will generate sound (you can listen to it, it will sound like a very loud buzz) which you will need to route to a dedicated output on your audio interface. When you create the software instrument track, it should have a default instrument (E-piano), that instrument is also generating audio.

Be aware that for Logic there are 2 plugins, one called MidronomeMIDI which is a MIDI FX plugin, and one called Midronome which is the "Instrument" (the one you want to use for tempo). The MIDI FX plugin is only necessary if you have time signature changes or if you need the device to follow Logic's tempo when the transport is stopped.

I hope this helps a bit - I'm not sure how to make it clearer :)

Let me know if you cannot get it to work!
Simon