Missing the first beat

Any questions about the Midronome, technical or not
jamiebird76

Missing the first beat

Post by jamiebird76 »

I have an issue where the midronome always starts on the offbeat. The timing is OK but when i click play in Ableton it sits and thinks for a beat and then starts the clock. It is perfectly in time when it does start but it starts exactly one beat late to start. It does this in 24P mode and 2.4.P mode as well.

I am using Ableton and the plugin in. I have attached the settings for my plugin channel.

System:
Windows 11
Midronome FW2
Ableton Live 11
Hardware - Octatrack
Attachments
Waveform.jpg
Midronome settings.jpg
Simon

Re: Missing the first beat

Post by Simon »

Hi Jamie

Can you record the Midronome's metronome? I would be really surprised if it does not start right on the first beat.

If it does, it means the MIDI Clock is sent from the Midronome from the first beat, then it must be a setting on the Octatrack that somehow gets it to start a beat later. Do you have other sequencers you could try with maybe?

I've experienced that some machines do not like the "2.4.P." mode (so far only Volca Beats actually - but I would guess there are a few others as well). In this mode these machines might start with a bit of a delay. That's the downside of removing that 1-bar delay, because they get:
* no MIDI Clock
* all of a sudden, a MIDI Start message followed by MIDI Clock messages

The "24P" mode does not have that problem since the machines receive MIDI Clock messages before the MIDI Start message.

So actually my first guess was that the Octatrack could be one of those machines, but you said you tried in both 2.4.P. and 24P modes.

Simon