Still struggling to sync Ableton to the Midronome

Any questions about the Midronome, technical or not
barbd

Still struggling to sync Ableton to the Midronome

Post by barbd »

Hi

I've started to use the plugin inside Ableton but I can't lock the tempo for some reason.

I have the plugin sending it's audio into the Midronome via a separate out channel in my interface.

I have the midronome hardware set to SYNC > 24P. When I set it to 2.4.P. the play light flashes on and off but nothing happens.

Changing the tempo in the DAW doesn't affect the Midronome.

I have a midi out from the Midronome going to a Moog but this is not playing in sync, it's quite considerably out.

Any clues? Thanks...
Pluppo

Re: Still struggling to sync Ableton to the Midronome

Post by Pluppo »

I came here to ask the same question, couldn't get it to sync.

Then I remembered I had a problem when I first tried the old sync file. In Ableton I had to put a Utility and invert the phase to make it work.

Maybe it has something to do with my soundcard, I have a MOTU Ultralite AVB. Could be that the phase is inverted compared to what Simon uses.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Pluppo wrote: 23 Sep 2023, 21:35 Maybe it has something to do with my soundcard, I have a MOTU Ultralite AVB. Could be that the phase is inverted compared to what Simon uses.
A very good point! I actually thought about it but until now I had not heard that issue from anyone. Basically the plugin sends "positive" pulses, and the device needs indeed "positive" pulses. I think most audio interfaces maintain the phase, but some rare ones might invert it, and yes in this case it would not work. Maybe in your case there is a button/option somewhere in the MOTU software that is inverting the phase?
But either way, if that happens you can simply invert the phase of what the Midronome plugin sends by adding something afterwards. Ableton has the "utility" plugin for example which work fine for that.
barbd wrote: 23 Sep 2023, 21:24 Changing the tempo in the DAW doesn't affect the Midronome.
A few pointers:
  • Check that the plugin produces some audio
  • Check that this audio is actually sent to the cable connected to the "INPUT" of the Midronome (look at your interface's software levels for example)
  • Check that this audio is on the left part of that cable (or on both)
  • Check that the audio sent is actually the one from the plugin, and without anything else?
If all of this is ok, then it's either the volume (turn it up) or the phase like Pluppo pointed it out.

The "Locked" LED of the device will turn on when it starts syncing.
Simon

Post by Simon »

@Pluppo, @barbd, let me know if you'd like to join a video call so I can investigate what is happening :)