[DONE] DAW Plugin support for x/8 time signatures

For bugs and features discssusions. You may suggest new features here as well.
Please do not report bugs here, use instead the "xxx Bug Reports" forums.
HappyClocker

[DONE] DAW Plugin support for x/8 time signatures

Post by HappyClocker »

Status: implemented in v1.1.0 of the plugin. Download it on https://midronome.com/support
-------

Hi there,

I've "learned" from other postings that Midronome is not able to support x/8 time signatures natively and that only x/4 signatures can be supported.

I'm just thinking loud whether the VST3 plugin could be upgraded to detect a x/8 time signature in Ableton Live and send its 24 PPQ signal with the corresponding "suitably multiplied" tempo and the number of beats (the numerator of the time signature) to Midronome.

I think that would generate additional benefit for users working e.g. with 6/8 measures. What's your opinion?

Edit: Simon asked me to post my idea from a different thread here.
Simon

Re: VST3 Plugin support for x/8 time signatures

Post by Simon »

Thanks for creating a topic here. And yes that's a great idea. Hoping to hear what other people think as well ;)

Simon
backinthelab

Post by backinthelab »

I'd add my vote for this feature. Anything to avoid breaking the flow of music-making is a thumbs-up from me. If the plugin were able to detect that the DAW was set to an x/8 time signature and adjust it's output and midi commands automatically then that would be an excellent addition to the feature set.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Hey guys - so I was actually in the process of implementing this in the plugin when I realized something.
In fact x/8 signatures are now implemented: the plugin doubles the tempo and changes the "beats per bar" setting of the Midronome to x.

That way a 6/8 time signature will sound correctly on the Midronome's metronome, matching exactly the DAW metronome (expect Pro Tools' metronome which does not seem to support x/8 time signatures :roll: ).

But then I realized: this is flawed, it means all your sequencers will suddenly run at double tempo, just because you changed from a 3/4 to a 6/8 time signature!

I think the only proper way to implement this is to add the support for x/8 time signature in the Midronome. So that the clocks are all the same, the only change will be the metronome (and funny handling of time signatures like 5/8 which don't have an whole amount of beats in them...).

Why do you guys want support for x/8 time signatures in the first place? Is it only because of the metronome?

Let me know what you think :)

Cheers
Simon
HappyClocker

Post by HappyClocker »

Good Morning Simon,

THX a lot!

My thoughts: I think x/8 are relevant as well ... though beeing not so heavily used in comparison to x/4 measures. They give a quite different feeling / groove:
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/w0gUW4yOxHU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P45jlDNTf5Q

So IMHO x/8 is a great further usecase for Midronome.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Amazing videos thank you! Especially that guy explaining the 3/4 vs 6/8 :D

As you may have seen this is now implemented, in v1.1.0. But my question remains: I think the plugin doubling the tempo is not great.
I will see if I can add "proper" x/8 support in a future firmware, in this case I'll update the plugin so it sends the right MIDI CC commands and maintains the tempo. I created this topic about it: viewtopic.php?t=301