[F] Midronome PLAY flashes after DAW is stopped when using 2.4.P.

Reported bugs for the Midronome hardware or firmware.
Topics ar marked as: [R]=Rejected, [A]=Approved, [WIP]=Work in Progress, [F]=Fixed
Forum rules
  • Use the search function to see if your bug has already been reported
  • Only post in a topic if it is directly related to the reported bug or feature. If not or if you're not sure, please use the Discussions & debates forum.
Thank you so much for reporting bugs <3 - it helps A LOT :)
MLaf

[F] Midronome PLAY flashes after DAW is stopped when using 2.4.P.

Post by MLaf »

STATUS: Fixed in Firmware v3.0 by removing the 2.4.P. mode entirely,
---

Short description of the issue: When using the plugin in 2.4.P. mode with A.Pla On, when stopping the DAW, the Midronome Play button flashes.

Setup (devices connected to the Midronome and how): DAW > Midronome via USB. Midronome > Octatrack via MIDI.

Steps to Reproduce: Load up Bitwig and load VST to track. Send Audio out to interface connected to Midronome. Set Input mode to 2.4.P. Press play in DAW (everything plays at the same time instantly). Press stop in DAW, Midronome flashes play button until you press it manually to stop it. The Octatrack stops when the DAW stops, it's just the Midronome that continues to flash.

Expected Behavior: The Play button should not flash and the device should show STO for stop.

Actual Behavior: The play button flashes and it shows - - - on screen.

This does NOT happen in 24P mode with the 1 bar delay. It all works properly.

ErrorLog (from the ErrorLogExtractor - https://midronome.com/support ):

Has the Midronome firmware been recently upgraded, from which version to which version? Version 2.0
HappyClocker

Re: Midronome PLAY flashes after DAW is stopped when using 2.4.P.

Post by HappyClocker »

THX for reporting!
Now I know why mine flashes with the same sync setting 2.4.P. and A.PL = On, too.

However I didn't care. :mrgreen:
MLaf

Post by MLaf »

Not even sure if it's a bug. What I did notice is that it won't play or send clock if I play the DAW and it's not in this flashing mode. So when it's not flashing it takes me two attempts to play connected devices.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Thanks for reporting. Interesting that both of you guys think this is a bug... :D

In any other mode than "2.4.P.", you can see that:
  • The Play button is constantly on when your sequencers are playing
  • The Play button is off when you sequencers stop
  • If you press it while the sequencers are off, it will start blinking until the next bar - blinking means it is "armed"
In "2.4.P.", when not receiving anything from the DAW, the time is stopped. But you can still "arm" the play button, so that your sequencers play as soon as the DAW starts. So when you press it, it will start blinking.

As for the A.PL (Autoplay) mode, it simply "presses" the button for you. In "Syn" and "24P" modes it does it when the DAW starts, since there is that 1-bar delay. In the "2.4.P." mode there is no time, so as soon as the DAW stops Mr autoplay nicely gets everything ready and arms the Play button for you - you're welcome :D

I fully understand what bothers you: you'd rather not arm the play button until you've pressed play in the DAW. But that's not possible as the only way to play everything right away is to do some preparation before the DAW starts. It's like if in a shooting game, you'd wait for the target to appear to load your weapon, by the time you want to shoot the target is long gone.

I'm happy to hear your suggestions though :) Maybe the manuals should be updated so this is clearer?

Cheers
Simon
MLaf

Post by MLaf »

I guess the blinking is just very distracting to me. Is there another way to indicate being armed without this? Could the display show ARM instead of - - - ?
Simon

Post by Simon »

MLaf wrote: 22 Sep 2023, 19:42 I guess the blinking is just very distracting to me. Is there another way to indicate being armed without this? Could the display show ARM instead of - - - ?
That's an interesting suggestion - the problem is it has to fit with the other modes otherwise it's confusing. And in the other modes the display cannot show "ARM" since its' displaying the tempo (and displaying R and M in that display is difficult - but that's ok it's just a matter of finding another word ;) ).

You're not the first to complain about the blinking speed, I think I will slow that down on the next firmware update.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Status: solved in Firmware 3.0 by removing 2.4.P. mode entirely.
(note: the 24P mode now starts without the 1-bar delay)
MLaf

Post by MLaf »

Simon wrote: 11 Apr 2024, 16:43 Status: solved in Firmware 3.0 by removing 2.4.P. mode entirely.
:?
But...the mode was the only mode I use! How is that solving anything? If it's either a blinking button or no mode I'll take a blinking button!

Please tell me there's another mode replacing it that has 24p sync with no 1 bar delay?
Simon

Re: [F] Midronome PLAY flashes after DAW is stopped when using 2.4.P.

Post by Simon »

Ha ha yes I forgot quite an important thing: all sync modes start right away now, so the 2.4.P. mode is not necessary. But in any case with Firmware 3.0 you'll want to use the new fancy stuff instead of 24P mode... he he very exciting things you'll see :D :D
MLaf

Re: [F] Midronome PLAY flashes after DAW is stopped when using 2.4.P.

Post by MLaf »

Simon wrote: 12 Apr 2024, 09:16 Ha ha yes I forgot quite an important thing: all sync modes start right away now, so the 2.4.P. mode is not necessary. But in any case with Firmware 3.0 you'll want to use the new fancy stuff instead of 24P mode... he he very exciting things you'll see :D :D
Oh okay awesome! Looking forward to it Simon.