Use the Midronome Dial to Control Daw

Any questions about the Midronome, technical or not
etrav

Use the Midronome Dial to Control Daw

Post by etrav »

Hello!

I am currently using the 2.4.P. setting to sync with my DAW. It works wonderfully and i am very happy with the results. One thing i would like to do however, is use the midronome dial as a physical dial to shift the DAWs tempo. I would like to continue to use the 2.4.P settings as i enjoy the ability for my DAW to have timeline based tempo shifts that sync to all of my external gear. If someone knows of a way to program tempo shifts in abelton while still using the Midronome as a master clock (thus regaining the use of the tempo dial) that would also work.
Milosdrummer

Re: Use the Midronome Dial to Control Daw

Post by Milosdrummer »

You're essentially asking if Midronome can be the master clock, while receiving the sync signal from the DAW at the same time. It is contradictory. Try using the Midronome as a master clock and send the tempo change via USB from DAW ( Midronome DAW plugin or any note to cc plugin). That way it can hold external gear in sync with the DAW and you get to jump the tempo with the knob.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Actually no that makes a lot of sense - correct me if I am wrong, but what you would want is:
  • The DAW is still the master using the plugin
  • But turning the dial on the Midronome just sends information to the DAW to change its tempo (simply a command like "set tempo to 145" without sync involved).
Basically the Midronome is both a MIDI controller but also following the DAW.

I think that would be very cool but I am not aware of any DAW (including Ableton) that supports "MIDI Commands" the same way that the Midronome does? I think most DAW support a control surface protocol which is usually not MIDI, and (of course :roll: ) different from one DAW to another.

Simon
Milosdrummer

Post by Milosdrummer »

Simon wrote: 17 Sep 2023, 18:07
I think that would be very cool but I am not aware of any DAW (including Ableton) that supports "MIDI Commands" the same way that the Midronome does? I think most DAW support a control surface protocol which is usually not MIDI, and (of course :roll: ) different from one DAW to another.

Simon
That is the reason why I've suggested to try the 'reverse' method with Midronome as a master clock and DAW as the 'controller'. Anyway, Midronome has such a rock solid clock, it would be shame not to use it :)
Simon

Post by Simon »

I mean the idea of simply using the plugin's MIDI data (or a note to cc plugin like you did - but I think this is quite advanced for most Ableton users) to control the Midronome is really brilliant - I think we might add a specific video about this ;)