Nudge tempo function

For bugs and features discssusions. You may suggest new features here as well.
Please do not report bugs here, use instead the "xxx Bug Reports" forums.
Simon

Nudge tempo function

Post by Simon »

Official topic in the Potential future feature Forum: viewtopic.php?t=209

Feel free to still write here in this topic for debates or larger discussions around the feature.

------------------------------------------

This would give a way to slow down or accelerate slightly the tempo but just for a short amount of time, in order to catch up with an already playing song or live music.

The implementation would be holding down the tap tempo button while turning the knob, which would decrease/increase the tempo (1 BPM per turn of the knob) until the tap tempo button is released. When the button is released it would go back to the tempo it was set to.

Please comment below if you would like to see this feature implemented, or if you have any comments about the implementation :)

/Simon
Chillumtrio

Re: Nudge tempo function

Post by Chillumtrio »

Hi Simon! It sounds cool, i was thinking woult be be nice to have the jogwheel down event as the function button here (so push & turn) and when you relesae it goes back. This way you wouldnt need to fiddle with your fingers, but just a simple straight movement.. whatcha think?
Simon

Post by Simon »

Hi :)
Thank you for writing!

Do you mean pressing on the knob instead of pressing the tap tempo button?
If so, that would work, the current knob we have is quite "tough" (on purpose), and I personally would find it relatively hard to press and turn at the same time.
We can leave this to the beta-testers, this can very easily be changed ;)
unclenige

Post by unclenige »

This is a great idea.

Needs to be a one handed operation I think - ring finger press and turn with thumb and forefinger is possible.
Push and twist just the knob - maybe, depending on resistance, as Simon suggests.

N
Chillumtrio

Post by Chillumtrio »

Is it possible to subscibe as a beta tester?
Simon

Post by Simon »

It is! But I cannot guarantee you will get chosen as there are limited spots available ;)
If you are interested I suggest you join our Insiders Community, fill in this form here and we'll get back to you: https://forms.gle/roNAooyW3ineKt7SA
seanac

Post by seanac »

Great idea!
Simon

Post by Simon »

Hi all :)

I have had a few discussions regarding this. It seems some of you are interested in having the possibility to match micro tempos (e.g. 124.279 bpm), which I think could be implemented with the nudge function.

The idea being that you can nudge the tempo at less than 1bpm per turn, and when you are where you want to be, the tempo will still be at whatever value it ended being (even it is not a "round" bpm value).
Simon

Post by Simon »

Ok I just made the maths and it is actually really easy to implement!

So when nudging the display will show ".xx" which is the decimal of the current tempo.

So basically, say you are at tempo 145bpm. You start nudging positively and the display will show ".00" then ".01", then ".02", etc, to show you that the tempo is in fact 145.02bpm. Then when you release the nudging the tempo shown on the display will still be 145 but internally the clocks will run at 145.02bpm. If you need to see this just start nudging again and the display will start by showing ".02" to tell you what your current tempo is.

And tadaaa, two problems solved in one!! 8-) :D

PS: I can easily make this going to the 3rd digit decimal as well, but I think that is a bit overkill? :roll:
bogdanoctav

Post by bogdanoctav »

I've just posted a little bit up this board a solution that I find more elegant and playable than the tempo nudge.
It would involve an algorithm that calculates a catch-up maneuver/nudge on base of an offset/bpm difference calculation, while someone is tapping the basic bpm.
It feels basically llike if you had a percussionist that falls behind the groove, and someone comes near and claps the bpm, until the percussionist catches up.

Feel free to visit that thread and give me your thoughts on it.

Cheers!

Bogdan
david.brazewell

Post by david.brazewell »

I would like this
Chillumtrio

Post by Chillumtrio »

Hi Simon!

Are you planning to implement this feature? This is the only function I'm waiting to pull the trigger.. I'd like to sync my drum machines with my turntables, so this function would let me nudging the MIDI clock like if it was a vinyl plate..

Thanks in advance,
Geza
Simon

Post by Simon »

Honestly I doubt this will ever be implemented in the device itself at this point. I'm sorry to say there has been little interest from the community.
But with the add-on modules everything is possible, and making a module which adds this should not be that difficult ;)

How would you guys implement it from a practical point of view? Would you be ok with two buttons, one to nudge forward and one of nudge backwards? Or should it be a knob that you turn?

Simon