[DONE] Feature request: more Resync options

For bugs and features discssusions. You may suggest new features here as well.
Please do not report bugs here, use instead the "xxx Bug Reports" forums.
MPrinsen

[DONE] Feature request: more Resync options

Post by MPrinsen »

Feature request 1:
The resync feature (hold the play button while already playing) does correctly resync my Hapax, but it does not resync my TR-8S. The resync feature only starts the TR-8S if I first manually stop it. It seems the TR-8S does not recognize the reset message or something?

It would be nice if an option is added to make one or either of the midi output ports actually stop and start when resyncing, instead of just sending a reset message. Maybe make it stop 1 or more ms before the next bar and then start at the next bar or something. That would fix this issue.

I'm sure there are more devices that won't recognize a reset message, so that would be helpful for those devices as well.

Feature request 2:
Also: I think you need to hold the play button for too long to activate the resync feature. It would be great if it would be activated within a few 100 ms. Just a little bit longer than just clicking. An option to change the "hold button" length would be awesome!
Simon

Re: Feature request: more Resync options

Post by Simon »

Thanks for the great requests!

Request 1 is actually a bug - the "reset" message is simply a MIDI Start + MIDI Song Position Pointer 0,0, the same sent when starting devices. I did not know of any devices which needed a MIDI Stop first to restart their sequence.
I created a topic for the bug: viewtopic.php?t=252

Regarding request 2, this can easily be adjusted to be a bit shorter. I think an option to adjust the time would be overkill, it's just about finding a time that everybody feels is acceptable. Right now it is set to 1 second, I would suggest 400ms? Shorter than 300ms I would be worried that someome who presses a bit slowly wants to stop its devices and ends up resyncing them.

I'm open to other suggestions on the matter (other ways to resync, for ex a combination of keys, or other pressing time) :)

Cheers
Simon
MPrinsen

Post by MPrinsen »

About request 1) Awesome! Hope so see a fix soon, as the TR-8S goes out of sync every time you send a program change to it (which is actually a bug Roland should fix, but it would be great to have the Midronome as a savior :))

About request 2) Yeah, I would love to have it as short as possible. But .4 sec would be much better for sure. Maybe you can just try and feel if .3 sec is even better, or too short?
Simon

Post by Simon »

I can feel and decide, but I think before any decision is taken I will need to hear multiple voices of Midronomists, I would rather avoid frustrated people that liked the fact it was 1 second :)

Just FYI, you can also send MIDI Continue or MIDI CC messages to the Midronome over USB (and in the future, over MIDI-DIN with a simpe MIDI in module) to perform a resync. See the manual in "usb commands" section.
MPrinsen

Post by MPrinsen »

Simon wrote: 15 Jul 2023, 06:55 I can feel and decide, but I think before any decision is taken I will need to hear multiple voices of Midronomists, I would rather avoid frustrated people that liked the fact it was 1 second :)

Just FYI, you can also send MIDI Continue or MIDI CC messages to the Midronome over USB (and in the future, over MIDI-DIN with a simpe MIDI in module) to perform a resync. See the manual in "usb commands" section.
That’s why you could also make it a variable, so users can choose in the settings between 200 ms and 1000 ms ;)

If you want to keep it simple and just one defined value, maybe change it to 300 ms and make it a public beta to see if people like it or not.

Yes midi cc would be a good solution as soon as the midi in module is available :)
Simon

Post by Simon »

Great ideas, thanks for the feedback :)
Simon

Re: [DONE] Feature request: more Resync options

Post by Simon »

The 300ms long-press time is implemented and will be released as part of Firmware 2.0. If anyone finds this is an issue (and would rather a different time, or back to 1s, or an adjustable time), then please let me know.
MPrinsen

Re: [DONE] Feature request: more Resync options

Post by MPrinsen »

Cool! Will it be available in a beta version first?