reaper + hardware setup with midronome

Any questions about the Midronome, technical or not
wget--user

reaper + hardware setup with midronome

Post by wget--user »

i am trying to figure out what exactly i need for midronome to work in my setup, if i can get some help, i'd be greatful.

Currently this is my setup:
DAW Reaper (master) --> MIDI OUT --> Korg SQ-64 (slave)
KORG SQ-64 MIDI OUT 1 --> TR-8s MIDI IN -- MIDI THRU --> SH-01a
KORG SQ-64 MIDI OUT 2 --> Novation Peak MIDI IN --> MIDI THRU --> Erebus Dreadbox --> MIDI THRU --> Pulsar-23
KORG SQ-64 SYNc OUT --> Ornaments-8 SYNC IN --> Lyra-8 and/or Pulsar-23 if not using SQ-64 to program P-23

What would be needed to implement Midronome in this setup? Probably some THRU box? And make Reaper slave to Midronome via MIDI or usb?
Simon

Re: reaper + hardware setup with midronome

Post by Simon »

Hi :)
wget--user wrote: 31 Jul 2023, 12:23 And make Reaper slave to Midronome via MIDI or usb?
That's unfortunately not possible, since Reaper will not follow MIDI Clock. This is a limitation of Reaper, not the Midronome.

First removing Reaper out of the equation, you can simply do:
Midronome (master) --> MIDI OUT --> Korg SQ-64 (slave)
KORG SQ-64 MIDI OUT 1 --> TR-8s MIDI IN -- MIDI THRU --> SH-01a
KORG SQ-64 MIDI OUT 2 --> Novation Peak MIDI IN --> MIDI THRU --> Erebus Dreadbox --> MIDI THRU --> Pulsar-23
KORG SQ-64 SYNc OUT --> Ornaments-8 SYNC IN --> Lyra-8 and/or Pulsar-23 if not using SQ-64 to program P-23
Or you could do:
Midronome (master) --> MIDI OUT --> big ass MIDI Thru box (for example Kenton midi thru 12)
MIDI Thru box -> Korg SQ-64 (slave)
MIDI Thru box -> TR-8s MIDI IN
MIDI Thru box -> SH-01a
MIDI Thru box -> Novation Peak MIDI IN
MIDI Thru box -> Erebus Dreadbox
MIDI Thru box -> Pulsar-23

MIdronome (master) -> ANLG out -> Ornaments-8 SYNC IN
MIdronome (master) -> ANLG out -> Lyra-8 and/or Pulsar-23
(note that I have not checked if the Ornaments-8 and Lyra-8 and Pulsar-23 accept the clock coming out of ANLG - see the Tech Specs https://midronome.com/tech-specs and the User Guide to make sure it works)

You can also use the MIDI Thru of your devices - whatever works. This part is the easy one, what is difficult is to add Reaper.

To add Reaper, the only way you can do it is using AudioSync
Reaper (master) -> AudioSync signal -> Midronome (slave) --> MIDI OUT --> everything else as above
AudioSync can be a bit difficult at the beginning, I suggest you start by checking the AudioSync section in the User Guide and the special "sync with DAWs" manual on https://midronome.com/support

Hope this helps :)
Cheers
Simon
wget--user

Post by wget--user »

Simon wrote: 31 Jul 2023, 13:26
Or you could do:
Midronome (master) --> MIDI OUT --> big ass MIDI Thru box (for example Kenton midi thru 12)
MIDI Thru box -> Korg SQ-64 (slave)
MIDI Thru box -> TR-8s MIDI IN
MIDI Thru box -> SH-01a
MIDI Thru box -> Novation Peak MIDI IN
MIDI Thru box -> Erebus Dreadbox
MIDI Thru box -> Pulsar-23

MIdronome (master) -> ANLG out -> Ornaments-8 SYNC IN
MIdronome (master) -> ANLG out -> Lyra-8 and/or Pulsar-23
Hi bro, thanks for your help. how would the machines get notes from SQ-64 in this case?
Simon

Post by Simon »

In this case you will need merging (with a MIDI merging box like one of the Kenton ones), or to stick with the original design with Midronome -> SQ64 -> everything else.

But in both those cases the MIDI Clock messages will be moved by the other data, adding jitter. That might not be a problem, so feel free to test it first.

The last solution is to use the Midronome to do the merging, which in this case will keep the MIDI Clock intact (no added jitter).
But:
  • The MIDI forwarding feature is coming in Firmware 2.0 - which is not released yet. It should be out in September already (I might need some beta testers before that though!)
  • Even with the new feature, you will need to send the MIDI notes to the Midronome via USB, or via the module interface (with hardware add-on which will have a MIDI IN port letting you send MIDI notes for forwarding)
wget--user

Post by wget--user »

what would happen with clock if I did Reaper --> Audiosync --> Midronome --> MIDI OUT --> SQ-64 --> MIDI THRU BOX --> everything else?
Simon

Post by Simon »

This is the first case I described - it will work but the clock messages might be moved a bit by the SQ-64, unless it has a special mechanism to keep them in place (highly doubtful). But unless you send tons of data it should be mostly fine - so start with this setup and see if it works for you :)

The next step, once Firmware 2.0 and simple MIDI in add-on module is realeased, would be to do:
Reaper --> Audiosync --> Midronome --> OUT 1 --> SQ64
SQ-64 --> add-on Midronome module --> Midronome --> OUT 2 --> MIDI THRU BOX --> everything else