Sync Click Track to OnSong & Beat Buddy

Any questions about the Midronome, technical or not
CFMD28

Sync Click Track to OnSong & Beat Buddy

Post by CFMD28 »

Hi, Support Forum

Can the Midronome sync to an external source? I use an app called OnSong to tell the Beat Buddy what tempo and beat to play. I want to use the Midronome as a click track to my in-ear monitors that continues to play during drum breaks. All of this is for live performance.
Simon

Re: Sync Click Track to OnSong & Beat Buddy

Post by Simon »

Hi - are you the one who wrote on Messenger?

You can set the tempo on the Midronome by sending MIDI CC commands over USB. It’s not particularly easy, you might need an adapter cable to be able to power the Midronome and the iPad, and at the same time connect the iPad to the Midronome over USB. Other people have done it before - look for posts by Florijan in the Midronome Facebook group - https://www.facebook.com/groups/midronomevip
(I think Florijan used a Kenton USB host)

Then I do not know BeatBuddy but if it has MIDI and can follow MIDI Clock, then you should be able to control it from the Midronome :)

Cheers
Simon
CFMD28

Post by CFMD28 »

Hi, Simon

Yep, that was me. That’s great to hear that I can set the tempo on the Midronome using CC commands.
I would do this from OnSong running on the iPad via a Mio iConnect cable connected to a USB hub that other midi devices are connected to. Yes, the Beat Buddy is midi capable and can be a master or slave. Sounds like this may work. I assume there is no issue taking the audio out to a channel on my mixer, correct? There I can route that channel to my in-ear monitors and not to the mains.
Simon

Post by Simon »

CFMD28 wrote: 18 Jul 2023, 06:35 I assume there is no issue taking the audio out to a channel on my mixer, correct?
Are you speaking about the metronome of the Midronome (on the "AUDIO" output)? If so, then yes, just use a balanced/stereo cable (TRS-TRS or even TRS-XLR) and flip the switch to the speaker position ;)