Minor feature - assign a number to change USB device name

Future features that could be implemented on either the Midronome or the Software Tools.
Topics ar marked as: [A]=Approved, [WIP]=Work in Progress, [F]=Finished
Simon

Minor feature - assign a number to change USB device name

Post by Simon »

Original topic: viewtopic.php?t=202

This is about having the possibility to assign a number to your Midronome which will be reflected in the name of the USB MIDI devices when connecting it to a computer. This way it will be easier to identify it when connecting multitple Midronomes to one computer.

This setting will not be visible in the list of settings on the device, even in the advanced settings. The only way to change its value will be by sending a MIDI CC or SysEx message over USB (details coming later). The setting will be saved in the device like all other settings.

Feel free to comment here regarding:
  • If you think some information is missing or unclear
  • How you would like this feature to be implemented (buttons, settings, how to activate, how it is done, etc.)
Dark Waves

Re: Minor feature - assign a number to change USB device name

Post by Dark Waves »

This should be very helpful.

Some other devices I have do similar things, although with Windows the degree of success varies. I'm pretty sure I've elaborated about this elsewhere, so I don't want to repeat, but if it will help achieve the objective, I can certainly provide more detail here.

Thanks for looking to keep improving the functionality with all of these tweaks!
Simon

Re: Minor feature - assign a number to change USB device name

Post by Simon »

Dark Waves wrote: 08 Jun 2023, 22:27I'm pretty sure I've elaborated about this elsewhere
You have indeed, Jack :)
On the topic mentioned in my first post, more exactly here: viewtopic.php?p=954#p954