Daw Sync Plug-In + Usamo comparison

For bugs and features discssusions. You may suggest new features here as well.
Please do not report bugs here, use instead the "xxx Bug Reports" forums.
Simon

Re: Daw Sync Plug-In + Usamo comparison

Post by Simon »

MLaf wrote: 31 May 2023, 15:32 I'm confused with the plugin - doesn't it just need to spit out a pulse that is synced to the DAW tempo?
Ha ha you're right - it "just" need, I also thought this was going to be easy :lol: :D
But basically the pulse needs to be exactly on time with the DAW transport - that's the difficult part.
MLaf wrote: 31 May 2023, 15:32If and when DAWs get around to implementing support for ARA, what's to say it won't end up the same as VST where each DAW handles things differently?
Let's see already now with the current DAWs that support it. But unless they give a wrong tempo map (that's the only usage of the "ARA" part) it cannot really go wrong :)
LunaticSound

Post by LunaticSound »

I also don´t get it. Generating audio in time with the transport is what DAWs do, don´t they?

Could you just give us the specs on what the audio stream should look like, I think it should be easy to make an instrument in Ableton that spits out the sync stream.

I must be overlooking something :lol: But I´d like to try.
MLaf

Post by MLaf »

@LunaticSound
You could write the audio from the tool and just crop them out? It's two different pulses but I don't know the ratio between them. Someone has already made a M4L and a Bitwig Grid patch that work but I haven't tested either (I would try the Bitwig one).

The very expensive E-RM Multiclock plugin just spits out a pulse wave, nothing too fancy it seems (at first glance that is). I think Simon chose the two different pulses for his so the device can tell when you reach the bar but I'm not positive (also not sure that really matters for what I'm thinking many of us want to use it for).

@Simon could you implement a second "less accurate" mode in the sense that it doesn't care where it is in the bar, it will play after receiving a single (or two) pulses?
Simon

Post by Simon »

LunaticSound wrote: 06 Jun 2023, 12:09 Could you just give us the specs on what the audio stream should look like, I think it should be easy to make an instrument in Ableton that spits out the sync stream.
Yes please :) Like Matt said just look at the files generated by the Sync File Generator tool, it's very simple, only 2 pulses, small ones at 24ppq, and an extra high one one tick before the bar.
MLaf wrote: 06 Jun 2023, 15:44 @Simon could you implement a second "less accurate" mode in the sense that it doesn't care where it is in the bar, it will play after receiving a single (or two) pulses?
Yes this is what this viewtopic.php?t=212 would be about. If this is implemented the Midronome should actually work with the E-RM plugin (it will only sync tempo though, not the metronome).
MLaf

Post by MLaf »

Thanks Simon, that’s exactly what I was thinking about. When I saw that on the vote list I wasn’t sure what it meant. Now I do. Adding my vote to it.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Full disclosure - this feature is actually the most voted for! I was very surprised :D
MLaf

Post by MLaf »

That’s awesome. I think that shows what the majority of the backers were hoping for. Keep up the great work Simon!
knarrrz

Post by knarrrz »

MLaf wrote: 06 Jun 2023, 15:44 @LunaticSound
You could write the audio from the tool and just crop them out? It's two different pulses but I don't know the ratio between them. Someone has already made a M4L and a Bitwig Grid patch that work but I haven't tested either (I would try the Bitwig one).
Oh, someone already made a Max device? Where can I find it?
MLaf

Post by MLaf »

knarrrz wrote: 14 Jun 2023, 11:49 Oh, someone already made a Max device? Where can I find it?
There was a link somewhere in this forum and I can't seem to find it. I think it went to the FB group though. Maybe check there if you can?
knarrrz

Post by knarrrz »

Ah, okay… Or do you mean the Drum Rack solution? Because it’s not the Max device, that I was thinking of.
Last edited by knarrrz on 15 Jun 2023, 19:18, edited 1 time in total.
MLaf

Post by MLaf »

knarrrz wrote: 15 Jun 2023, 09:52 Ah, okay… Or do you mean the Drum Rack solution? Because it’s not a Max device that I was thinking of.
Oh maybe that's what it was, sorry. I'm not a Live user so I didn't try it and commit it to memory what exactly it was.

Maybe someone should reach out to Ned Rush for the M4L work. He could probably do it in about 30 min or less! :lol:
knarrrz

Post by knarrrz »

Ha, great idea! But I‘m not quite sure if the Midronome could handle the Jungle madness that this device would spit out… We all know, Ned can‘t help it! :D

So, all good, the Drum Rack works great for now, but a M4L device would make things even easier.
telder55

Post by telder55 »

Just want to say thanks Simon for making the plugin solution work. My Midronome has been an awesome studio edition now that this feature is working. Cheers!
Simon

Post by Simon »

Glad to hear!! :D :D