Tempo presets

Future features that could be implemented on either the Midronome or the Software Tools.
Topics ar marked as: [A]=Approved, [WIP]=Work in Progress, [F]=Finished
Simon

Tempo presets

Post by Simon »

Original topic: viewtopic.php?t=37

This is about implementing up to 99 presets on the Midronome. A preset will contain only the tempo and the time signature.

To save a preset, once the tempo and time signature is set, you will be able to save it by doing the following:
  • go in the settings
  • select "PrE" (preset) in the list
  • choose a preset number
  • validate
To recall a previous saved preset, hold Setup+Mute (or another combination - any suggestions?) and turn the knob at the same time. This will show for example "P.01" on the screen, 01 being the active preset, then turning the knob some more will change the preset.

Feel free to comment here regarding:
  • If you think some information is missing or unclear
  • How you would like this feature to be implemented (buttons, settings, how to activate, how it is done, etc.)
  • Why you think this feature is a good addition to the Midronome
Dark Waves

Re: Tempo presets

Post by Dark Waves »

As mentioned elsewhere, and redirected here, an idea for recall process is, if this method isn't reserved for anything else, to press the encoder to enter recall mode, then simply turn to the preset number.

At the moment, it doesn't appear the encoder is used like this at the top level, i.e. without first activating "Setup" or something. If pressed and released, it behaves normally by scrolling through tempos. So there are a couple of possibilities that I've thought might work:

1. Pressing the knob once puts it into preset recall mode, scroll to preset, press again to exit.
2. Press and hold while turning to preset, then release, although this might be slightly awkward, but I tried it and it's not hard, so...
3. Press and hold to engage preset save mode, scroll to value and release to exit, and then combine with option 1 for recalling presets.

It remains to be seen, but my feeling is perhaps that presets might prove to become a more routine item to access than most other settings, hence the suggestion for a direct access method requiring just a single action with one hand, versus a combination button press. If there's another use for this approach that seems more useful, then by all means consider that.
masi

Post by masi »

Simon wrote: 12 May 2023, 12:56 A preset will contain only the tempo and the time signature.
In case swing/shuffle gets implemented IMHO it should be stored in a preset as well.

For me the analog clock time divisions (or the possibly implemented start/stop feature) are also settings I'd find useful to be able to recall.

I'd sacrifice the total number of presets for more data in each single preset.

Masi
StormWulf

Post by StormWulf »

Hey Simon and everyone else!

Great feature I think, similar to my requested idea of a "songbook" or so mode, ofcourse I am not good with understanding exactly to what extent this is possible, but my thought process was along side this:

Maybe have a type of app that runs either Android or IOS, that would be able to send info via USB or another mode to the Midronome, then you can have all your songs with relevant presents, being tempo and time sig, stored in there? Even if the app is just windows or mac.

I think the Tempo Preset feature is a great start though and could be used with not too much effort, one would just make a note of the preset number.

Why I am thinking of a song mode app or, maybe even being able to access the "Tempo Preset" via midi cc or similar command, is simply to speed up the process when switching between songs :) :)

Take care and keep up the great work you guys do!!!
Simon

Post by Simon »

StormWulf wrote: 26 Sep 2023, 11:35 Why I am thinking of a song mode app or, maybe even being able to access the "Tempo Preset" via midi cc or similar command, is simply to speed up the process when switching between songs :) :)
Thanks for the feedback :)
If/when presets are implemented, there will definitely be a possibility to change preset via a MIDI CC Command, I think the "Song Select" message will suit perfectly for that.

But actually such apps already exist. For example Band Helper, the way I do it there: https://youtu.be/CInmo4pmZs8?t=30
(note that the setup is a bit complicated, to be able to send from the phone via bluetooth - you could simply use a USB cable - people have done it in the forum)
Milosdrummer

Post by Milosdrummer »

Simon wrote: 26 Sep 2023, 11:45
StormWulf wrote: 26 Sep 2023, 11:35 Why I am thinking of a song mode app or, maybe even being able to access the "Tempo Preset" via midi cc or similar command, is simply to speed up the process when switching between songs :) :)
Thanks for the feedback :)
If/when presets are implemented, there will definitely be a possibility to change preset via a MIDI CC Command, I think the "Song Select" message will suit perfectly for that.

But actually such apps already exist. For example Band Helper, the way I do it there: https://youtu.be/CInmo4pmZs8?t=30
(note that the setup is a bit complicated, to be able to send from the phone via bluetooth - you could simply use a USB cable - people have done it in the forum)

Is second this, it would be redundant to create an app from scratch if there are already few mature ones that can do song list and MIDI commands, and much more. Band Helper is one of the options, I use it extensively in my gigging, and now with Midronome it's a matter of programming presets and just tapping through songs for the desired BPM (along with the knob action 8-) ).
Lunaman06

Post by Lunaman06 »

Simon wrote: 12 May 2023, 12:56 Original topic: viewtopic.php?t=37

This is about implementing up to 99 presets on the Midronome. A preset will contain only the tempo and the time signature.

To save a preset, once the tempo and time signature is set, you will be able to save it by doing the following:
  • go in the settings
  • select "PrE" (preset) in the list
  • choose a preset number
  • validate
To recall a previous saved preset, hold Setup+Mute (or another combination - any suggestions?) and turn the knob at the same time. This will show for example "P.01" on the screen, 01 being the active preset, then turning the knob some more will change the preset.

Feel free to comment here regarding:
  • If you think some information is missing or unclear
  • How you would like this feature to be implemented (buttons, settings, how to activate, how it is done, etc.)
  • Why you think this feature is a good addition to the Midronome
here some thoughts idea -
* include in the present the click settings (type and volume, and if later available also swing/shuffel)
* changing Preset via CC is fine but I do think changes to presets should be set using midi program change (as well)
(Why? B/C if Midronome is integrated into HW workstations/grooveboxes/Padelboards, they often can sent PGMChnge to channels out to synchronize up settings with other boxes, but not CC.) FWIW JMK uses the same approach for the CSM.
And while we are on it (if possible implement also a cc for PC incr. and PC desc, to allow scrolling via master keyboard buttons, e.g tempo changes with in a song). (If also a CC option to set a specific preset number that is fine)
* Not sure on this but I think preset change via midi should reset/resync the clock.
* switching through Presets manually - would cool to have encoder shortcut like for the click volume. e.g. TEMPO+Encoder runs through the preset numbers. And if you release the tempo button the new preset kicks in at the next down beat. And in lock mode like today.

I hope this is useful input.