iConnectivity mioXM / mioXL

For bugs and features discssusions. You may suggest new features here as well.
Please do not report bugs here, use instead the "xxx Bug Reports" forums.
J. John Mixson

iConnectivity mioXM / mioXL

Post by J. John Mixson »

Is iConnectivity Host function compatible with Midronome?

I'm using the Midronome's Audio Sync feature and have had to connect its USB directly to the computer, as it isn't wanting to work through the mioXM Host port.
Last edited by J. John Mixson on 13 May 2023, 13:44, edited 1 time in total.
Simon

Re: iConnectivity mioXM / mioXL

Post by Simon »

Hi John :)

This is very interesting, and I'd be happy to investigate a bit more. The Midronome is USB-MIDI class compliant, but it creates 1 MIDI input interface and 2 MIDI output interfaces, maybe that is what confuses the MioXL? (most devices will create 1 in and 1 out)

Any other thought about why it is not working?

Cheers
Simon
J. John Mixson

Post by J. John Mixson »

The symptom is that the mioXM isn't sending the Start signal.

When setting up the Host port(s), mio doesn't present a list of software devices to choose from.
This applies to the three Midronome devices.

In the iConnectivity control application Auracle, I name the mio ports, DIN and Hosts, according to the attached device.
So, this Host port is named Midronome and can be routed to the other ports or not in Auracle.

The result is that Finale (my sort-of-DAW) has only Midronome to choose, not the other Midronome interface options.
However, even when Midronome is plugged directly into the computer Finale doesn't see those options, only Midronome, yet works as expected. (Other than the Error that I reported - losing sync.)

It might be that mio is simply pulling in the Midronome Clock Only interface.
I hadn't thought about this before now.
The interface options can be seen in Windows Device manager, of course.
I wonder what would happen if I were to disable the two interfaces I don't need, leaving mio no option of which to pull in.
J. John Mixson

Post by J. John Mixson »

Actually, that doesn't make sense.
If Midronome is not plugged directly into the computer, then Device Manager cannot see those options.
I think.
Will have to experiment with it yet some more to know, I suppose.
J. John Mixson

Post by J. John Mixson »

Here's what I found.
In some cases, it is necessary to reset Finale's Preferences files in order for changes in software device naming to be recognized.

This is in fact true of mioXM in that after changing port names you have uninstall and reboot it in order for the changes to be recognized by Device Manager.

The problem is that resetting Preferences in Finale also turns MIDI Sync off on everything.
This is not apparent without opening a submenu in its MIDI Device Setup dialog, and I had totally forgotten this was the case.

So, the mio X-Series Host function IS compatible with Midronome.

I'm still having a major problem with loss of sync and this is probably due to one or more Finale limitations.
I'm not even going to mess with it again until the SyncFileGenerator update with a 16 bit option is released.
In the meantime I'll keep my mouth shut.

Simon, we should delete this entire topic. Thanks again.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Ha ha no worries, and thank you so much for investigating! :)
I'll you confirm and then we can move this topic to the Questions forum ;)
muZikman

Post by muZikman »

I am VERY VERY VERY much diving into this world right now, and will let anyone know if I have any significant findings. I wondered if there'd be a cohort of the MIO folks here. I have a mioXL, and am using most of it's features. I've had it for about a year now and while I still have a random glitch when swapping a device in and out, on the whole I know what I'm doing.

Currently, the 'nome is hooked up to a USB port on the mio, and am able to drive Ableton as well as all of the hardware devices I have. I tested the cv quick to make sure it was functioning, but am primarily using just the USB since all of the DIN is handled by the mio. I am excited to have 2 extra DIN out ports available though, for use on things like guitar pedals, and guest instruments!

For what it's worth, I'm also successfully doing this w/ Midi over RTP. This works super great for being able to send clock to other parts of my house/studio w/out thinking about USB and DIN at all.

I can snap a couple screenshots of the USB Host section in the Auracle if anyone needs.

(PS - not specific to this device, but if you are dealing w/ multiple in/outs and have other instruments w/ clock, make sure you use the filtering to remove the clock from getting where it shouldn't be)